Tuesday 7 July 2009

Taking Things for Granted

Tree cuttingImage by Mrowka via Flickr

We do it all the time. Assume that the water and plumbing will work as well as the electricity in our houses and offices. Assuming that the car will start when you need to use it. And when things don't work we're usually somewhat dismayed by its inoperation. The reason that I'm writing about this is that we were without electricity yesterday because of maintenance work being conducted on the trees in the area. We were without electricity for 5 hours. OK, so we could plan for this and I did to a certain extent by making sure that enough hot water was available for coffee in the morning by preparing a thermos. (The idea of 5 hours, or more, without caffeine simply couldn't be contemplated!) Then I had to rearrange my whole morning schedule so that I was finished with everything electric by the time that the power went off. Then I went out for a swim elsewhere.

On the plus side of the equation however was the quiet; no fridge noises, for example. It was also a good excuse to relax as I couldn't do my keyboard practice as I didn't have any batteries and computer work was obviously out of the question.

I was still very grateful when the power came back on again and celebrated by watching some TV after my keyboard practice. Of course as an all-electric household, prolonged power cuts could be troublesome when it comes to cooking meals although we do have an emergency camping gas stove if all else fails. Doesn't do roasts though.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment