Monday 9 February 2009

Breakdown

VW Golf II FaceliftImage via Wikipedia

I've experienced my first real car breakdown. It's not something I would in anyway wish to experience again as it was quite disturbing. Having your car start behaving erratically while you are driving it about 7 miles from home in the pouring rain is really no picnic. I hoped that I could make it back home and then call the mechanic but no such luck.

Stopped and put on my hazard lights when I could go no further and called my friendly mechanic who very kindly said he'd come out and tow the car to his garage after dropping me off at home. However I would have to wait at least 20 minutes before he could do so. By this time the police had pulled up wanting to know what I was doing stopped in the middle of the road. I explained the situation and they couldn't have been pleasanter. After some discussion they pushed the car, while I steered it, into a safe lay-by off the road. On the whole I think that motorists often get a bad deal from the police but on this occasion they couldn't have been more helpful or pleasant. That's a comforting thought in these times of increased public surveillance and administrative abuse of power. They're not all always out to get you and can sometimes be really kind!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment