Thursday 5 February 2009

Transport

SAN RAFAEL, CA - JANUARY 05:  Mechanic Antonio...Image by Getty Images via Daylife

Started the morning OK after a troubled night but then the car wouldn't go. It was fine yesterday and ran OK but this morning it wouldn't despite oil and the WD40 treatment. Tried numerous times. Then called a friendly mechanic. I was due to have a new exhaust fitted today because the old one has a lot of holes and was due for a change but had agreed to take the car to his garage. Anyway, after a lot of attempts he managed to get it to start and drive it off. I await his return.

I love my car and most of the time it works well. It's just the occasional unreliability which totally flaws me and often makes me rethink my plans. Like me it has seen better days but seems willing most of the time when able. The thought of having to use public transport doesn't appeal, especially in this cold weather. Also there are places I need to go where public transport doesn't reach.

At an earlier stage in my life, I was totally against cars and thought that there were too many of them around anyway. And then I started driving and new possibilities opened up because of it. Although public transport is more ecological it can be expensive and very time consuming to go beyond the local area especially if you have to change your mode of transport. Timetables are not always user-friendly, particularly at night so I'm grateful to have a car that I can use. Friends of mine who've driven all their lives think differently and are always talking about bus journeys and how much they enjoy them. I suppose it all comes down to where you have to go and when - also on your age!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment