Tuesday 3 February 2009

A tree covered with SnowImage via Wikipedia

It felt as if everything was in limbo this morning when I woke up as it was all so quiet. It looked like most people had stayed home today and the schools were shut again. I got a phone call this morning saying that the choir rehearsal scheduled for this evening was postponed until next week.

Snow happens and suddenly everything is postponed or cancelled. I didn't know when I woke up this morning whether I could even go shopping and was glad that I'd done the main shop on Sunday so we had the majority of our supplies in. But it did make me wonder what would happen in the long term if we were snowed in and remembered a time in sixties (yes I'm really that old but not enough sadly to know about the fun times!) when I was snowed in at home for weeks with my family and the farmers had to go to the shops for us to buy our provisions on their tractors as that was the only way to get through to the local village. That winter I ate a lot of grape nuts and condensed milk which was delicious but not very good for the figure.

We take normality so much for granted until it is disrupted. For myself I'll be glad when the snow is gone but I can imagine a great many school children who won't be.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment